Inside are models, uniforms, photographs, instruments and many items that were actually used by the allies during the landings and even long after that.
The phone number for the museum is 02 31 22 34 31 (International code for France is 0033) The museum is what most people come to Arromanches to see, this and the remains of "Mulberry Harbour". Later to be called Port Winston. It was decided by the British Government, that an artificial harbour would be built in sections and floated across the Channel to Arromanches. Once there, the sections would be sunk, built up connected and could then be used as a harbour, causeway and roadway to facilitate unloading the allied ships of guns, tanks and various other mobile units. “Port Mulberry" was the code name for the mission, hence the name Mulberry Harbour. It started with 17 old ships that had seen many years of service and were ready for decommissioning. These 17 ships were sailed, under their own steam and were brought into the required position, then sunk, bow to stern on the Calvados Rocks approx. 1-1/4 miles off shore. After that, 115 concrete pontoons, known as Pheonix, were towed across the Channel at the rate of 15 per day and were sunk on the Calvados Rocks in the required positions near the 17 sunken ships. Floating platforms were placed in position then more concrete blocks were sunk and then the blocks were linked by more floating metal bridges. Four floating roads were made up of this construction. One for light vehicles such as ambulances, cars, and jeeps. One for heavy vehicles such as tanks, bulldozers and cranes and two for unloading various stores, equipment and provisions. This "harbour" managed by June 12th 1944, to facilitate the landing of 326,000 men, 54,000 vehicles of various shapes and sizes and 110,000 tons of various other goods. The harbour was closed down on 19th November 1944 and then dismantled. The platforms and most of the floating roads were broken up and reused for the war effort. Most of the Phoenixes and all the concrete ships, after the war, were used in the reconstruction of Normandy.